About the castle..
- This 12th century stronghold, just twenty minutes from the Seaside and the home of Sir Humphry Wakefield and his family.
- The castle was given permission to add battlements by King Edward III in 1344 (see the actual License in the castle).
- The Elizabethans added “Long Galleries” and Capability Brown designed the park in 1752.
- The glorious Italian garden was laid out in the 19th century by Sir Jeffrey Wyatville fresh from his royal triumphs at Windsor Castle.
- Royal visits from 1200’s to this century, and winner of many architectural awards.
- The Castle is now open to the public and also available for weddings; private functions; tours and has self catering apartments.
- It is ideally situated for exploring the breathtaking Northumbrian countryside, located 10 miles from the coast and around 70 miles from both Newcastle and Edinburgh.
For more information, click here to visit our website..